Posts tagged FIT
Here’s a great article for all of you chocolate lovers out there! There is evidence that dark chocolate can help you have a better work out! Check out this article from the Fit Sugar blog:
Chocolate Helps Your Workout? Snack Ideas to Maximize Its Benefits
Add another benefit of chocolate to your justification list: not only does dark chocolate help lower blood pressure and cholesterol, soothe a cough, and increase blood flow, but a new study now says it also can help you perform better if you eat it right before a workout.
The study looked at rats given either water or liquid extract of epicatechin, the healthy flavonoid found in dark chocolate that gives the sweet its many benefits, and found that rats who drank the extract ran as much as 50 percent farther than rats who drank only water. Epicatechin, the study found, binds to receptors in muscles, which may help them resist fatigue.
Good news, right? But don’t take this research to mean you should chow down on a huge chocolate bar right before you hop on the treadmill. Only a small amount of dark chocolate is needed to reap the performance-enhancing benefits of the sweet, says the study’s lead researcher, who also notes that eating a lot would undo any benefits by overloading muscle receptors. Small means five grams, or only about half a square of a dark chocolate bar. Also, don’t think you can get by with a milk chocolate treat — too much processing undoes any positive effects of epicatechin, he says.
If you are looking for some dark chocolaty preworkout snack ideas, try these:
- A sprinkle of dark cocoa in your Greek yogurt (with some honey if needed).
- A handful of high-quality dark chocolate chips right before your workout.
- A few dark-chocolate-covered mini pretzels.
- A sprinkle of cocoa into a cup of coffee for even more endurance benefits.
- A handful of trail mix containing cocoa nibs, nuts, and dried fruit.
- A piece of Alter Eco Dark Quinoa Chocolate for another mix of proteins and carbs.
Still craving chocolate after your workout? Reach for some chocolate milk after an intense session — chocolate milk makes a great recovery drink!
To Your Health!
The FITzee Team
1. Contest Period: The FITzee Girl search begins on May 3, 2011- May 25, 2011 in San Diego,CA.
2. Eligibility: We are looking for a local fitness professional who shares our vision, passion, and commitment to changing the hearts, minds, and health of San Diegans. We are looking for a “Fitzee Girl” If you are a passionate female fitness professional who embodies a healthy lifestyle, but motivates, educates, and inspires others to do the same. Then we are looking for you.
We are looking for young females ages (18-35)
A FITzee Girl must embody the following qualities:
o Dedicated to living a well balanced life- eats whole foods & exercise daily
o Fit, attractive
o Energetic, outgoing personality
o Smile that will light up the room
o Genuine and truly believes in helping people live at the optimal level
o Personable and approachable
o Knowledgeable about health and fitness profession, expert in the field
o Dynamic personality- has charisma
o Be able to inspire
3. To enter, send us a short video clip demonstrating why YOU are the “Fitzee Girl”. The videos should be between 2- 3 minutes. Send videos to (email@example.com). We are looking for someone to deliver the Fitzee Foods message in an authentic, dynamic, passionate, and articulate way. You need to be able to connect with the communities and motivate the masses. After the submission, the judges will pick the top 5 females and you will move onto the next step of the process
4. Your video must not infringe on any third party rights or contain any names, logos, or seals of any government agency, company, or organization.
5. The contest is void where prohibited or restricted by law. No purchase or payment of money is necessary to enter or win.
6. Winner: the FITzee Foods Judges will choose the winner. The winner will be showcased in Fitzee Food’s print, media, and community outreach marketing campaigns. The top 5 will be invited to the FITzee Foods Grand Opening & the winner of the contest will be named on June 11, 2011 at the FITzee Foods Store grand opening at 11AM, winner must be present at the time of the announcement.
7. Contest General Rules: By entering into the contest, Participants agree to abide by the contest rules and regulations and the decisions interpreted by the FITzee Foods Judges and personal.
8. By entering, participants agrees to release and hold harmless interpret and the employees, officers, directors, shareholders, agents, representatives of Interpret, its parent company, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising, promotion, and fulfillment agencies, harmless from any and all losses, damages, rights, claims and actions of any kind in connection with the Contest or resulting from acceptance, possession, or use of any prize, including without limitation, personal injury, death, and property damage, and claims based on publicity rights, defamation, or invasion of privacy.